1. To put out a grease fire, scatter baking soda over by the handful to extinquish flames.
2. Stash an open box of backing soda in the fridge to absorb odors (replace every two months).
3. Clean the dishwasher and coffeemaker by running an empty cycle with baking soda.
4. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your bath for an at-home spa treatment.
5. Polish jewelry with a paste made of water and baking soda. It’s safe on both silver and gold.
6. Scatter baking soda in the kitty box, then add litter on top to keep smells to a minimum.
7. For instant relief from bug bites, sunburn and poison ivy, mix baking soda with a little water and apply it directly to the sore.
8. Make a fluffier omelet by adding 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for every three eggs.
9. Pour in one cup baking soda followed by one cup hot vinegar to quickly unclog the kitchen drain.
10. Fight dandruff by tabling the shampoo for a few weeks and massaging your wet scalp with a handful of baking soda instead.
11. Gargle with baking soda or use as a mouthwash.
12. Soak toothbrushes in a mixture of 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup water; let brushes stand overnight for a thorough cleaning.
13. Make DIY kitty litter; Mix a small box of baking soda with 3 inches of sandy clay.
14. Use baking soda to brush your pets’ teeth.
15. Scatter baking soda on icy sidewalks - it’s not as corrosive as salt.
16. Discourage weeds by sprinkling baking soda into the cracks on your driveway and walkways.
17. Surround Fido’s food bowls with baking soda to keep pests away.
18. Sprinkle baking soda on the sink and tub, and scrub with a sponge.
19. Have heartburn? Create an antacid by mixing 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda with 1/2 cup of water.
20. To clean a toilet, add 1/4 cup baking soda to the bowl, swirl, then scrub.
Want 500 more uses for sodium bicarbonate? Vicki Lansky wrote the book “Baking Soda: Over 500 Fabulous, Fun, and Frugal Uses You’ve Probably Never Thought Of” available from Amazon.com, $8.95.